A talk about amazing upcoming technology always gets to the potential of wireless mesh, also known as Freifunk. For many of my friend in the technologist community wireless-mesh networks is old news, and they will explain you for hours why which bleeding edge technology option is preferable. As a concept it fascinated me ever since the Wizard of OS gathering. The European Parliament mentioned Freifunk in its last years’ report from MEP Patricia Toia, and political parties and public decision makers discover it as an alternative to the massive cable & wire state aid for broadband provision, and recently they discovered that “we, the digital natives” want net access in public parks and everywhere. Freifunk is a smart technology option to make that happen.
My Belgium friend and colleague Benjamin Henrion (“zoobab”) is a Freifunk ethusiast. He spents his spare time to develop and test new wireless protocols, improve the firmware of wireless access points and develop wireless business concepts. Benjamin tries his very best to make Brussels the city to be for Freifunk technologists. So here is an event he asked me to put on my blog. It takes place at the okno art & technology center in Brussels
HackerSpaceBrussels announces the second Wireless Battle Mesh WBM2009 v2 (Brussels, 17-18 October)
HackerSpaceBrussels (HSB) announces the second Wireless Battle Mesh, which aims to test 3 popular WiFi routing protocols (OLSR, Batman and Babel), in Brussels on Saturday and Sunday 17-18 October 2009.
* Tue 06 Oct @ 21:00: final IRC meeting to prepare the design of the
networks (see below)
* Sat 10 Oct @19:30: IPv6 presentation (Filip P.) + panel on possibilities & pittfalls of IPv6 for free networks
* Tue 13 Oct – Fri 16 Oct: OpenWRT workshops (we’re still up to organising things, some points of interest: openwrt installation & config, kamikaze build environment, ssh keys infrastructure, firmware generation, UCI configuration tool, asterisk/ SIP phone)
* Friday 16th Oct @ 18:00 : Deploy the nodes
* Sat 17 Oct @ 14:00: Deploy the nodes, setup tests
* Sat 17 Oct @ 19:00: concert “I’m sitting under an antenna” v.a.,
org. by OKNO
* Sun 18 Oct @ 14:00: The battle! 🙂
We setup some IRC meetings to prepare the configuration: IP’s, versions, and everything that took too much time at WBM v1. The meetings will be held on the tuesdays of 15 and 22 September and 06 October at 21:00 CET on irc.freenode.net channel #hsbxl. People from brussels and around are invited to join us at the hackerspace.
The event is free. We’ll kindly ask you for a donation to cover some costs.
* Metro: Compte de Flandres / Graaf van Vlaanderen
* Train: Go to Brussels central station and take metro from there (metro 5 direction Erasmus)
* Route planner in Brussels: http://mivb.be/index.htm
Space is limited, so we ask you to register in advance by registering:
1. send an email with your name and surname to contact at voidpointer.be
2. register on Doodle: http://www.doodle.com/7yzcn8ptibyq7gxv
* Bring your laptop/computer
* Bring your compatible router(s) with OpenWRT pre-installed
* Bring your WiFi antenna(s) and connectors
* Zoobab is offering some free space to sleep (contact him at zoobab at gmail.com)
* If you have problems finding accomodation, let us know (contact at voidpointer.be) — there always be some couches free at HSB.
Email: contact at voidpointer.be
Tel (ptr_): +32 493 52 50 09
Tel (zoobab): +32 484 56 61 09